Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Tornado Dreams

Twice now I have dreamt of tornadoes. The first time was a couple months ago maybe, and I dreamt one came and tore up my house. Yesterday afternoon, I was in the middle of an amaaaazing nap until I began dreaming of being stuck in the middle of a storm with about 30 tornadoes. The weird thing about both of these dreams was how well I was able to remember them. Even still.

You know how sometimes when you dream, you might be in your house, but it isn't really your house? That is what happened in the first tornado dream. In the dream, it was MY house that was being destructed by the tornado, but it wasn't MY real house in real life. Anyway, I survived that one unscathed, and that was pretty much the extent of it. It came and tore up my house, and then I woke up.

Yesterday's dream took place in Lake Wylie. And Beth Funderburk was in it. For those of you who don't know her, she is a girl I went to school with since elementary school. We were never really friends, but we were always in the same classes together all through high school. Anyway, she was driving me from my dad's house to my mom's, and as soon as we got out on the main road, there were no cars on the road. Instead, they were all in the ditch along the side of the road, bumper to bumper. I was so confused as to why the cars weren't driving on the road and naturally instructed her to just drive down the road, when she pointed out that there was a tornado behind us. Soon after that, we noticed one in front of us as well. It was then that I decided we better stop and get out. So we did. We pulled off the side of the road and laid on the ground. It soon became apparent that the only reason I wasn't blowing away was because Beth was holding me down. I then got the bright idea that we should roll across the ground and be blocked from the "wind" by an old Volkswagen Beetle which was nearby. So we did. Then, Beth started yelling about how she wished the car would be lifted up by one of the many tornadoes that kept coming up, all the while holding me down to keep ME from blowing away. Nice of her, I suppose. Now, I had a bag with us containing stuff belonging to both Beth and me. Of course it all got blown out of the bag, but naturally didn't blow away. So, at one point, we thought the storms were over, and Beth disappeared, leaving me to gather up our things and put them back in the bag. Then, I started walking down the road and realized that the tornadoes were still coming, so I ducked into a house, where lo and behold, there was Beth. With Lori Baird. For those of you who don't know her, she also went to high school with me. The three of us were "safe" and watching the tornadoes continue out a large window in the front room of this house when I woke up. So bizarre.

I don't know about any of you, but I am really fascinated by dreams. Most of the time, I don't remember mine.... but I definitely think they all have some kind of meaning. So, those of you who know me well know that I google EVERYTHING. Naturally, then, I looked up online dream dictionaries. See below for what I found about tornadoes.

From http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary:
To see a tornado in your dream suggests that you are experiencing some extreme emotional outbursts and temper tantrums. Is there a situation or relationship in your life that may be potentially destructive? To dream that you are in a tornado, signifies that you are feeling overwhelmed and out of control. You will be met with a series of disappointments for the next week or so. Your plans will be filled with complications. To see several tornadoes in your dream, represent people around you who are prone to violent outbursts and shifting mood swings. It may also symbolize a volatile situation or relationship.

From http://www.sleeps.com/dictionary:
If you dream that you are caught up in a tornado, or see other people in one, or you are in danger from a tornado, then you will find all your well laid business plans come to naught and failure will dog your footsteps until you do something to change your chances of success; more education, better training or so forth.

From http://www.thecuriousdreamer.com/dreamdictionary:
-An overwhelming or destructive situation in real life, most likely out of the dreamer's control.
-A feeling or fear of being taken advantage of or victimized, especially suddenly or in an unpredictable way.

From http://www.newagedirectory.com/dream/dictionary.htm:
Being overwhelmed by work or circumstances. You are stressed out. If you are overtaken: Things are out of control in your life. If you escape from or avoid it: You are stressed but can handle the situation.

From http://www.dreamloverinc.com/dictionary1.htm:
Tornado is a violent storm in nature, and it may represent violent emotional storms in your dreams. If you have reoccuring tornado dreams, consider the emotional changes in your life and also the amount of anger and rage that you may be currently experiencing. Tornadoes could also represent disruptions and upsets in your immediate environment and specific or current issues that may be overwhelming.


So, based on this research, I conclude that work is stressing me out and causing me to dream about tornadoes. That or the CPA exam.... but I think it is changes at work more likely.

Do you ever have crazy dreams? Ever dream about the same thing more than once? How often do you remember your dreams? Ever dreamt of tornadoes? Please comment. I am fascinated.

2 comments:

  1. There are definitely messages in your dreams but what they are, I don't know. I agree that you've been a little stressed at work and the CPA exam is a huge thing. Hang in there sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, I haven't had it in a while, I have a reoccurring dream that I'm falling down the tree trunk in "Alice in Wonderland" . . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...